Thursday, January 14, 2010

4th Anniversary

I can't believe Ben and I have been married for 4 years. It has been one incredible adventure. I cannot wait for many years to come. This past year has proven to be one of the more difficult years of our marriage, but we also feel that we have been tremendously blessed. We have had work, school, and church callings that kept us busy and away from each other at times but we have grown closer in every way imaginable too.
After Ben got home from work last night we decided to open presents before we headed to dinner. I had told Ben earlier in the day that I was really not in the mood to even go out, and that we might just have to stay in and order pizza for a romantic anniversary night. Well by the time he had gotten home I had rejuvenated myself a little bit more, and felt that we could go out for dinner.
When he gave me my present he told me that each piece of jewelry represented something different in our relationship, which is true. My very first piece of jewelry from Ben was a promise ring. We weren't quite ready to be engaged yet, but knew that we wanted to be together so he surprised with a jewlery box he got from Alaska when he went with his dad and brother, and then the promise ring. I honestly remember thinking when he was Alaska that I never wanted to be without him again. I think his trip was only four days, and let me tell you it was the longest four days of my life.
Next was our engagement ring. Symbolizing the obvious, and then when we were married the wedding band was sautered together to the ring, again for obvious reasons. For months after we were married I would just stare at my wedding ring, because I loved it so much. I think I was more impressed with the fact that Ben chose my ring all by himself, but knew to take me into Shane Company to make sure it was really what I liked before he made any final decsions. What can I say...I have a "safe" husband, which I am totally ok with.
Last night he totally surprised with a beautiful diamond necklace. The top and bottom diamonds symbolizes Ben and I, and the middle ice blue sapphire symbolizes our new little guy. Once we have more kids we can add a blue or pink sapphire to the necklace. I absolutely love the necklace, and love that I can look at it everyday and remember what it symbolizes for our next chapter in life.


Next it was Ben's turn to open his gift. He had mentioned a while back about having Family scriptures. His mom and dad have them in their house and he always remembers reading the story of Christ's birth from those scriptures on Christmas morning. He also told me that back in the day they kept a "family bible" basically birth records and things like that in this Bible. I thought that this would go great with our new addition coming in March. We will write on the first page our wedding date, and then as our children are born we will add their names to that list. It will be a fun tradition and I hope that it will be the start of something memorable to our family.

4 comments:

Christa said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys! The necklace Ben picked out is gorgeous! I can't believe your little boy will be here in a couple months... I'm so happy for you guys!

The Melo Family said...

AWWW!!! I love Bens gift!! It's so romantic and thoughtful!! and the scriptures are such a good idea! Congrats on 4 year guys! You deserve the best and I wish you many more happy years to come!!!

BaconandBitch said...

Congrats on 4 years! I remember when you were starting to date him and I totally just knew that you were going to marry him. Yeah for Ben doing his home teaching!!

Matt and Jenni said...

Happy Anniversary! I have to say that the necklace is one of the most adorable things I have ever seen in jewelry form. LOVE it!